Help Stop Circus Suffering in UK & Ireland
Posted: 4 February 2013. Updated: 25 February 2014
ADI has undertaken undercover investigations in circuses all over the world and our studies show that life for animals in circuses is one of deprivation and suffering.
The British Government has promised to introduce legislation which will ban the use of wild animals in circuses from 1 December 2015, but there are no plans to protect domestic animals in circuses – or wild animals in circuses in Ireland.
Please urge Ministers to bring in a UK-wide ban
Please help highlight circus suffering when an animal circus comes to town!
** See below for latest circus dates **
- Order our free ‘Stop Circus Suffering’ leaflets and distribute them in your town. Even taking 20 and delivering them through letter boxes or taking them to your local library or vets practice will help.
- Have an information stall in your town centre. ADI can provide you with materials and loan you (free) a ‘Stop Circus Suffering’ banner for the table.
- Take part in a demo. ADI can help organise this with you. We can put you in touch with other supporters in your area and provide you with all the materials you will need.
- Write to your local paper to let readers know why you don’t want to see animals in circuses where you live.
- Get political. Write to your MP / MSP / MLA / AM or local councillor and ask them to support a ban on the use of animals in circuses. If you need their contact details, just let us know.
- Go wild! Hold a leafleting session in your town with your friends and family dressed up as animals, with a ringmaster or ringmistress. ADI can contact your local media and help you organise a photo call to raise awareness that the circus is coming and why people should boycott the show.
- Get in touch
Latest circus dates – UK
- Circus Mondao - from 25 February until 2 March at The Junction A16, Wash Road, Kirton PE20 1QJ (Circus Mondao are one of only two circuses that have applied for and been granted a licence to perform in Britain with wild animals)
- Peter Jolly’s Circus - if you see posters for this circus on display please contact our campaign teams (Peter Jolly’s Circus are one of only two circuses that have applied for and been granted a licence to perform in Britain with wild animals and is the only circus to have a big cat act)
- Zippo’s Circus - from 19 February until 2 March at South Centre Car Park, Brent Cross, London NW4 3FP
Latest circus dates – Ireland
- Duffy’s Circus – from 26 February until 2 March at Athlone (Duffy’s perform with zebra, llamas, horses, ponies, donkeys, llamas, macaws and dogs - they stopped performing with lions and tigers in June 2013 but have introduced a sea lion act for 2014)
- Courtney Brothers Circus / Royal Russian Circus - if you see posters for this circus on display please contact our campaign teams (Courtney Brothers is the only circus with big cats, and performs with tigers from the Great British Circus)